Saturday, May 8, 2010

Birthmothers' Day

In the adoption awareness community, the Saturday before Mother's Day has become known as Birthmothers' Day.

It's a day to...
...I don't know
It's the day before one of the hardest days of the year for me. It's a day to grieve. A day to sit and wonder about how many more years it be until I hear my son say, "Happy Mothers' Day." Hell, it's a time to sit and wonder about how many more years until his adopting parents would even say that. Last year I called them to say 'Happy Mothers' Day' to his adoptive mother, and his adoptive father didn't even put her on the phone so I could say it directly to her. After a few minutes of small talk (that I thought was meant to fill the silence while he went to tell her to pick up the phone), I finally got the metamessage, wrapped up the conversation, and said goodbye.

I gave life to their son. Do they honestly think it would be inappropriate or unnecessary to extend best wishes on such a day? On one hand, no amount of gratitude expressed by them would be sufficient, so I understand why they don't call just to say, "Thank you for such a precious little boy!" [And he really is a precious little boy.] But society created holidays for a reason: to take at least ONE opportunity per year to show love for specific groups of people that make the world go 'round. Like Moms. After all, they would not have a son if I didn't exist in their life.

Is that too much to ask?