Tuesday, March 30, 2010

My greatest fear


One of my favorite inspirational quotes was one shared with me by my sister Natalie, written by Marianne Williamson:
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we're liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

I couldn't agree more with her that it is
completely terrifying to allow yourself to become the best you can be when you see others struggling to just BE. Time and time again I have sacrificed my career or put my education on hold for the men I love. I don't blame them, I blame myself for giving everything to them. For putting their happiness before my own. I was ignoring my own soul's beauty and ability to be great, because I believed in them and wanted them to be great.

By doing that, I hurt them. I hurt all of you. By not allowing myself to be the beautiful, passionate, out-going, insanely determined and independent woman I once was, I have hurt my community--and within it hundreds of children--by NOT being ready and available to help them. Economists say that an unearned dollar is a lost dollar: for every month longer I take to complete my degree and certifications, there is less opportunity to help others.

When I fell in love with a surgeon, I let my fear of our opposing philosophies [regarding health and healing] stand in the way of my interests in alternative medicine, specifically how it can reverse autism. I was terrified that my theories would conflict so greatly with his education that I was putting our relationship at risk by pursuing alternatives to his ingrained "Experimental-Based Medicine!" Recently I got over it and realized: by feeling the need to justify the physiological reasons for such "alternative" therapies to HIM, I was further educating myself on the subject. I never got the chance to share with him how much I've learned, but now I'm definitely more educated on the subject because of it.

IT SHOULDN'T HAVE TAKEN SUCH REASONS. My mistake was not pursuing what
I wanted; it shouldn't have mattered what he thought. It doesn't matter. I don't think any less of him even though I believe most surgeries are unnecessary (that's not just a personal opinion, it's the result of my personal studies pertaining to survival rates of cardiac surgery patients and the skyrocketing rates of procedures like C-sections and hysterectomies/vasectomies)! So why did I worry he'd think less of me for believing in progressive therapies? Because it is my light, not my darkness, that most frightens me.
Then, as if God/Creator/Gaea/Universal Being (whatever you want to call Her) couldn't stand seeing my weak dependence and fear-driven life, She plucked the very focus of my Love. Now with no one in my arms, I HAVE to feel the emptiness inside of me. I HAVE to address it. I HAVE to fill it with my own strength and Love--for myself, my purpose, my reason to Be.

So that I can no longer serve just one man.

So that I will instead serve the World.